Let's make real Terminator Scavs
Imagine we could build the perfect scav. A scav that can not be bargained with, reasoned with, that does not feel pity or remorse or fear and that absolutely will not stop until you are dead.
I think what I mean was
A scav that can not be bargained with tushonkas, reasoned with, that does not wiggle or feel remorse or GEARfear and that absolutely will not stop until you hoof it to the extract like a b#+4c.
What am I talking about this time you might wonder. In a recent very bad decision, the developers lowered the scav timer to 10 minutes. This is very bad for the game economy as it
- allows weak players too get too much cash without effort.
- allows experienced players to get even more cash without effort.
- sucks anything below AK-74N out of the game.
However there is one small interesting advantage to 10 minute scavs. It floods the game with player-controlled scavs to chase PMC players. Scav mode has two intended purposes:
- It provides players who can't aim with risk-free way to get gear and money. The problem with that it rewards bad players for being bad. Players should fear being out of cash and having to resort to makarovs sometimes. Yes, makarovs. The game should be so hard that you have to use the weakest weapons because you do not have better weapons. No free vepr welfare with the option of getting the gear from a dead PMC. At least not every 10 minutes. You might think this is "elitist". And it should be elitist. EFT was made for fps players who want something with hard difficulty.
- It adds player controlled enemies for PMC players to fight after most PMCs died early in the raid. This creates unexpected encounters and unexpected is a great thing.
So on one side, low scav timers ruin the economy but they also add player scavs to existing raids. These two options can not exist together. So how about we tweak this?
Terminator ScavsHow about we split scav mode into two different modes:
- Regular scav mode
- This is the current scav mode as it is, with a 60 minute timer. Something rare you have to carefully use when you need it.
- Terminator scav mode
- Imagine a scav mode where the scav is not worried about avoiding combat with pmcs because he already has a backpack with nice loot he found. As we know, once a scav finds an AS VAL or M4, the incentive to fight pmcs nosedives to zero and the scav sneaks to the exit to preserve the loot. How to remove that GEARfear? By removing the scav's option to keep the gear he finds this round.
Yes, no gear to collect. Your only goal is to ruin the PMCs in the raid. You have no fear to lose anything and can fully concentrate on combat. And then, a 10 minute timer or even no timer can work. Imagine you are a PMC and you have the constant fear of scavs chasing you at any time, and they are not bound by the fear of preserving loot. This would create the most epic battles and it would serve as a training mode for new players to learn the game without giving them and endless cash supply. This is like an AI scav with a smarter AI. The devs could flood the map with player scavs at different times and save server performance because the CPU time used for AI is gone and used for networking players. And for PMCs, fighting player scavs that are there to win the fight instead of sneaking to the exit it will make the game a better experience. Because fewer defenseless AI loot cows, and more human scavs.
One more thing:
Terminator scavs would get a reward if they successfully kill players AND get out alive. Both things, kill and extract. Not just one. The reward would be a scav upgrade for their next scav game.
A scav kills 3 players and gets out alive. His scav level for the next game would be "3" and he would spawn with better gear, until he loses a round by ending up dead or leaving without a PMC kill. This way all Terminators start out as makarov scavs and can stack their bonuses up to spawning with an M4 on very long winning streaks. And because they can not keep the gear for the stash, it does not pump cash into the economy. This detaches scav mode from GEARfear, provides PMCs with harder scavs and creates a training mode for players without damaging the economy.
If he would have ran to the exit with that shotgun after looting it, Sarah Connor would be dead.